Sunday, May 15, 2011

Last night I ran a spectacular 8 miles. It was actually kind of a miracle because I've been incredibly ill lately, but I got the itch to run, so i scratched it.

I feel like we learn so much on our daily runs. They parallel our lives so perfectly. There were times last night when I felt absolutely confident in my abilities, as if I could run forever. I ran passed a large field filled with horses and as soon as they were aware of my presence, they began to run along side me. They got to the end of their fence and their run ended, but mine continued. I sang songs and laughed and felt completely free. Other times when the wind shifted or a hill materialized,  my mind primarily focused on putting one foot in front of the other. I forgot about running forever and focused on just running now and enduring. I feel like I live a whole lifetime out there. There is such a vast spectrum of emotions felt on each and every run. Physical growth is just secondary to the mental and spiritual growth that takes place as we push ourselves to the very limit, and then continue to push. Our thoughts become clear. Our purpose becomes sure. Our potential is illuminated. And our direction becomes unshaken.

Every run is a new lesson learned.
Every run is another life lived.

1 comment:

  1. give up on medicine. anybody can do that. you should be a writer.

    ReplyDelete

Followers