Monday, August 15, 2011


Everything that can break in our lives usually does.

That's a good thing. When we break something it shows us that it was fragile or weak and that we need to replace or rebuild it. We usually replace or rebuild it with something much stronger so as to keep from breaking it again. Such is life: a series of breakings and fixings until we are rebuilt. Until we become resilient and flexible. Until we become strong. Until we become perfect.

The process is not easy. It takes calculated, daily effort and a profound attention to detail. It takes careful replacement of each individual piece until we have finally picked up all the pieces and put them back together. We get to know each piece of ourselves, and in the process we get to know ourselves on a deeper level. A level that will help us prevent being broken in that way ever again.

There are many forces that have supported me as I've picked up the pieces of what's been broken. The pieces of broken pride, a broken heart, a broken family, a broken will, a broken spirit and a broken life. One of these forces in particular is my running shoes.

The metaphor is quite poetic, really. The only support you get while running is from your shoes. They've supported me through every foot-fall and every stride, but they've also supported me on a much more emotionally personal level. Whenever things got too much to handle and whenever the pieces seemed to small to put back together, I would run. I would leave my house and take to the street as fast as I could, hoping to outrun whatever was plaguing me, hoping to wear it out. As I ran I was supported by those shoes. I was able to piece things back together, because, as you run, everything melts away. Through pain and sweat and dirt and blood, the excess of life is removed and you are left with a pure form of you. A template upon which to start rebuilding. Slowly the pieces are made more manageable and can be put back together until you are whole again. Then you are made stronger. Then you are made to overcome anything.

That is why I love to run. I get to know myself. Physical strength is negligible compared to the vast capacities of emotional, mental and spiritual strength gained from understanding who I really am.

And that is why I can never stop running.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers